I came across this recipe for Ferrero Rocher brownies a few days ago, and couldn’t stop thinking about it. There’s something rather amazing about the thought of a squidgy, decadent brownie with a Ferrero Rocher in the middle! Yesterday, I decided to just go for it and make them, albeit with a little Christmassy twist – hence these chocolate orange Ferrero Rocher brownies.
I adapted a trusty brownie recipe I use a lot to make the cake itself, adding the zest of an orange and replacing 100g of the dark chocolate with some Milka Noisette chocolate I just so happened to have in. I also threw in some chopped hazelnuts at the last minute. Then I followed the suggestion of the recipe I found and put half the mix in the tin, studded it with the Ferrero Rochers, then put the rest of the mix on top.
The brownies took a while to cook – I would say about an hour overall. But they were still beautifully moist and not in the least bit dry when they came out of the oven.
I couldn’t wait for them to cool! When they finally did, I was in chocolate heaven. The orange zest is absolutely lovely with the chocolate, and the chopped hazelnuts and decadent middle add a nice bit of texture. These really are brownies for the serious chocoholic in your life, and could also make a wonderful Christmas treat thanks to the festive orange. You could also omit the chopped hazelnuts and use a dark chocolate orange in place of some or all of the chocolate – the choice is yours!
While I’ve reserved a few of these for myself, I’m going to take the rest with me when I go to visit my boyfriend in a little while – he absolutely loves both chocolate orange and hazelnuts, so I’m thinking these will be a big hit!
Makes 16 brownies
- 250g dark chocolate (around 70% cocoa solids)
- 100g hazelnut-flavoured milk chocolate (or use more dark chocolate, or orange-flavoured chocolate, or whatever you like!)
- 250g unsalted butter
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 3 large eggs
- 250g light brown sugar
- 85g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g chopped toasted hazelnuts (optional)
- 16 Ferrero Rocher chocolates
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/160C/140C fan. Grease and line a 20cm square tin.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl set above a pan of simmering water. Stir in the zest, set aside and leave to cool slightly.
- Whisk the eggs until pale then add the sugar and whisk again thoroughly.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, add the hazelnuts if using, and stir until just combined.
- Pour just over half of the mix into the tin, embed the Ferrero Rochers into the mix then pour over the rest of the brownie mix.
- Bake for about 1 hour, checking the brownies after 40 mins in case your oven is better than mine!
- Once the brownies look set on top, remove them from the oven and leave them in the tin to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing them up.